Active Jobs (6)
Executive Director - Mass. Farm Bureau Federation
Director of Organizing - MASSCreative
Director of External Relations - MASSCreative
Policy and Strategy Specialist - Boston Public Health Commission
Manager of Government Affairs - Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Manager of Public Policy - Association for Behavioral Healthcare
Hiring? Email us at email@example.com
Manager of Public PolicyAssociation for Behavioral Healthcare - added 3 weeks ago
For more than 40 years, the Association for Behavioral Healthcare (ABH) has been the leading
advocacy organization in Massachusetts’ mental health and addiction services arena. Fighting for
high-quality, community-based care for families and individuals with mental illness, addiction and
substance-use disorders, ABH provides leadership on important public policy, financing,
regulatory, and programmatic issues.
ABH is a statewide association representing eighty community-based mental health and addiction
treatment provider organizations. Our members are the primary providers of publicly-funded
behavioral healthcare services in the Commonwealth, serving approximately 81,000
Massachusetts residents daily and over three-quarters of a million residents annually, and
employing 37,500 people.
ABH represents its member providers to funding, legislative and regulatory agencies at the state
and national levels and has become a powerful and compelling advocacy organization to ensure
that citizens throughout the Commonwealth have access to quality, comprehensive community-
ABH has had important leadership roles in key legislative and policy successes, including the
state’s landmark rate setting law (Chapter 257 of the Acts of 2008), substance use disorder
treatment access law (Chapter 258 of the Acts of 2014), and mental healthcare access law
(Chapter 177 of the Acts of 2022.
More information about ABH is available on our website: www.abhmass.org.
The Public Policy Manager is responsible for working with the President/CEO, ABH’s external
lobbying team and the Board of Directors to design and implement ABH’s public policy agenda,
particularly as they relate to public and private insurance coverage of behavioral health services.
ABH is intensifying its focus on insurance coverage, and payment policies for mental health and
addiction treatment services as a critical component in expanding access to care.
Reports to: President/CEO
● Staffs and oversees portfolio of member-based operational and/or policy committees.
● Work with the President/CEO to develop and implement advocacy strategies relating to
state and federal government budgets, legislation, regulations, programs, and other
● Provides leadership and support to President/CEO and Board on areas of strategic focus
or political complexity, including workforce development and retention and criminal justice
and makes recommendations in furtherance of Association’s agenda.
● Portfolio management includes the following:
o Develops broad content expertise on issues, identifying ABH members to
serve as experts for advocacy with policy makers as needed.
o Represents ABH in policy and/or advocacy coalitions.
o Researches, writes, and disseminates legislation, action alerts, memos, letters,
position documents, and periodic updates for members, as well as external
circulation on issues of critical importance related to portfolio.
o Monitors, daily, legislation via professional legislative-tracking services and
identify those related to ABH’s legislative priorities.
o Oversees the tracking, analysis, development, and dissemination of the state
budget at every step of annual budget setting process.
o Oversees the development of legislative, budgetary, and select regulatory
o Works with Committee Chairs to set meeting agendas and invite strategically
selected speakers; prepare and distribute notices, reminders, minutes, and
o Convenes and/or chairs issue-focused subcommittees and workgroups as
o Presents general or topical updates on issues of interest at monthly Board
meetings and to all members as needed.
o Follows-up on tasks recommended or positions adopted by the committee.
o Promotes each committee’s agenda both within and outside the committee.
● Provides related member services and serve as resource to members and staff on current
issues and developments in the behavioral healthcare policy arena.
● Presents public testimony before legislative and regulatory bodies as necessary.
● Works collaboratively with ABH’s contracted state and federal government relations
consulting firms under the supervision of the President/CEO.
● Serves as staff lead to and partner with advocacy partners and coalitions.
● Works in collaboration with national provider association public policy staffs to further the
interests of ABH members at the federal level.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of directly related experience in a nonprofit
or governmental environment.
● Experience working within a legislative, regulatory, and/or governmental agency is
● Demonstrated expertise in state legislative process, including state budget process.
● Exceptional written/oral communication skills, strong research skills, and the ability
to develop compelling arguments based on information available.
● A self-starter with the ability to work independently; but also operate as an integral
part of a strong team of professionals.
● Computer literacy and working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and
● Valid driver’s license and access to motor vehicle. Extensive in-state travel required
as in-person association business resumes.
● Previous work as Massachusetts legislative staff strongly preferred.
● Master’s degree in related field is preferred.
● In-depth familiarity with mental health and addiction aspects of health and human
service policy and associated federal and state programs is preferred but not
Who Should Apply
We believe that a diverse team makes a strong team. ABH encourages people from all
backgrounds to apply.
Candidates who are flexible, team-oriented, and highly responsive to internal and
external constituents are best suited to the ABH environment.
The ideal candidate for this position believes that:
• Access to high quality mental health and substance use disorder treatment
and recovery services is essential to healthy individuals, families and
• The Commonwealth and the nation can do more to improve access to
• Short and long-term policy and operational successes are important.
• Provider associations and their members bring strength to policy advocacy.
• Delivering prompt and informed services to member organizations is essential
to strong association and strong advocacy.
This is a full-time position. Hybrid work mode is option, with regular required office
attendance of at least two days per week.
• A great environment with smart and passionate individuals working as a team.
• Competitive compensation
• Medical and Dental Insurance
• Long and Short Term Disability and Life Insurance
• Contributory 401(k)
• 12 Paid Holidays
ABH reserves the right to revise, change or reclassify this job description at any time in
accordance with ABH’s business needs. This job description is not an implied contract.
Send resume and cover letter to https://www.applicantpro.com/openings/abh/jobs