Active Jobs (0)
Director of External RelationsMASSCreative - added 2 weeks ago
MASSCreative seeks an experienced communications and fundraising professional to advance MASSCreative’s position as a leading advocacy voice and resource for Massachusetts' creative sector. We seek an individual who shares our belief that arts and culture are at the core of strong, equitable and connected communities across Massachusetts. Reporting to the Executive Director, this senior level position will lead MASSCreative communications strategies and fundraising efforts to increase awareness of MASSCreative’s impact on the sector, advance our policy goals and develop iterative strategies to build support for MASSCreative’s work.
The Director of External Relationship reports to the executive director and a member of senior leadership, is responsible for:
Communications, Media Relations, and Marketing
• Oversee MASSCreative’s new branding and website redesign process, working closely with contractors, staff, and board stakeholders.
• Develop and execute an annual communications plan for advancing MASSCreative’s visibility as an advocacy and policy leader for the field including story pitches, op-eds, press kits, and media events.
• Serve as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries and provide timely responses to media questions.
• Create content to advance our case making for the sector including stories from the field and personal narratives, particularly from communities and individuals that are left out of traditional arts, cultural, tourism coverage.
• Working in partnership with the Director of Organizing & Executive Director, create content and communications that advance MASSCreative’s policy goals and legislative priorities.
• Lead strategy to elevate MASSCreative’s staff, board and partners as thought leaders, especially arts and cultural leaders who identify as members of communities often overlooked by traditional media.
Fundraising and Membership Development
• Working with the Executive Director and Board develop an annual fundraising plan that includes contributed revenue from foundations and individuals and earned revenue from organizational memberships.
• Manage the Development Operations Manager, a full-time position focused on
advocate data management, donor management and the annual membership renewal
• Develop copy and communications assets that steward existing donors and solicit new
Keys to Success:
To be successful in this role, the Director of External Relations will excel in the following
• Think proactively and creatively: Always look for opportunities to raise the visibility of MASSCreative and our priority issues through innovative tactics.
• Task Management: Have the capacity to hold multiple responsibilities and prioritize tasks for impact. Collaborate with co-workers to ensure accurate project timelines and meet deadlines.
• Relationship-building: Enjoy building and sustaining relationships that support the organization and advance our work.
• Racial and Social Justice: By recognizing the role of race, income, age, immigration status, and other identities in organizing and advocacy efforts, the Director of External Relations will ensure historically marginalized voices, including but not limited to members of the BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, Youth and Disability communities, are centered in communications strategies and organizational processes.
• Self-Awareness: Have taken space and time to recognize how their own identities show up in the work and commit to a continuous learning process about race, ability and lived experience of others.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• 5 years of experience as a communications and media relations professional with some experience managing communications for a political or issue advocacy campaign, elected official or government agency.
• Experience with nonprofit fundraising or political fundraising.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Deep knowledge in a diversity of communications platforms including subscription emails, social media (twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.), and websites.
o Experience with designing graphics and content on Adobe or Canva for social media platforms is a plus.
• Ability to travel via car throughout the Commonwealth.
• Salary: Commensurate with experience, $70,000- $75,000.
o Monthly health insurance stipend ($475 for individuals without dependents,
$950 for individuals with dependents)
o Participation in a matching retirement plan
o Generous vacation time and 12 paid holidays.
o $500 technology reimbursement
o Professional development stipend.
MASSCreative is a statewide grassroots organizing and cultural advocacy nonprofit. MASSCreative advances the public policy, advocacy learning, and cross-sector alliances necessary to creating a Commonwealth where art, culture, and creativity are a valued part of everyday life. Through our efforts over the past decade, we have built a coalition of 400 cultural organizations and thousands of arts advocates; doubled public investment in the Massachusetts arts and cultural sector; introduced legislation to strengthen the creative community; and elevated the role of arts and culture during local and statewide elections. In 2021, MASSCreative secured $60 million of Massachusetts’ American Rescue Plan Acting funding for arts and cultural recovery that prioritizes the diversity of experiences and artforms.
Location & Start Date
MASSCreative’s offices are in Boston, we continue to experiment with a hybrid remote work model with 2 days required in the office. The position will require travel throughout Massachusetts to meet with member organizations and hold media and fundraising events. We hope to have the best candidate start this position by the end of October 2022.
● Please submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com.
○ Writing sample can be an op-ed, press release or press kit.
● All materials should be submitted as one PDF.
● Please use the subject title: Director of External Relations Position.
MASSCreative is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Black, Indigenous and People of color, women, LGBTQ-identified persons, and others from historically underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.